October is National Fire Prevention Month
October is National Fire Prevention Month and at SERVPRO we want to bring awareness to the importance of fires safety and fire prevention. The month of October allows for the opportunity to educate the community on significant actions that can be taken to ensure the safety of the public. The Fire Prevention campaign for 2019 is, "Not Every Hero Wears a Cape. Plan and Practice Your Escape!" Which focuses on motivating families to plan and practice a home escape plan in the event of a fire. A fire escape drill that includes two ways out of every room and an outside meeting place is key. Making an action plan to get out of your home safely is critical to the prevention of a significant tragedy.
Escape Planning Tips from the NFPA Website
- MAKE a home escape plan. Draw a map of your home showing all doors and windows. Discuss the plan with everyone in your home.
- KNOW at least two ways out of every room, if possible. Make sure all doors and windows leading outside open easily.
- HAVE an outside meeting place (like a tree, light pole or mailbox) a safe distance from the home where everyone should meet.
- PRACTICE your home fire drill at night and during the day with everyone in your home, twice a year.
- PRACTICE using different ways out.
- TEACH children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
- CLOSE doors behind you as you leave.